Please note that all orders must be placed by Oct 21st. All items ordered after Oct 21st will be shipped out after Election Day.
These data designed earrings recount the number of years it took for women, people of color, and minority groups to finally gain the right to vote.
Each blue bead represents a year that passed between the signing of the Constitution in 1787 and the passing of the 19th Amendment in 1920, which granted women the right to vote. There are 133 yellow beads total to represent the 133 years that passed before women were able to vote. But even then, women and men of color continued to face discrimination and were unable to vote. The 45 red beads represent the additional 45 years that passed until the Voting Rights Act was passed in 1965, which prohibited racial discrimination in voting. This legislation was monumental in protecting people of color and minorities when voting.
There are 15 gold beads, each symbolizing and highlighting a suffrage champion. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list of all the suffragist stars. There are many more who could be added, but the 15 named below are those whose stories I was captured by:
- The Blackwell Family (1790 – 1950)
- Sojourner Truth (1797 – 1883)
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815 – 1902)
- Susan B. Anthony (1820 – 1906)
- Frances Ellen Watkins Harper (1825 – 1911)
- Carrie Chapman Catt (1859 – 1947)
- Ida B. Wells (1862 – 1931)
- Mary Church Terrell (1863 – 1954)
- Zitkála-Šá (1876 – 1938)
- Nannie Helen Burroughs (1879 – 1961)
- Nina Otero-Warren (1881 – 1965)
- Daisy Lampkin (1884 – 1965)
- Jovita Idár (1885 – 1946)
- Alice Paul (1885 – 1977)
- Mabel Ping-Hua Lee (1897 – 1966)
Let us continue to honor those who came before us and what they fought for by exercising our right to vote. Let us hold each other accountable, cheer each other on, and help one another navigate the road to Election Day. Let us guide the kind of future we want to live in by voting.
Visit our interactive data visualization page for more details. 5% of this purchase will be donated to Common Cause.
Please see additional information for earring dimensions & packaging details.